Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring Garden of 2010




The weekend of March 6th, my husband and I tilled under the rye that I had planted in the fall. It took a couple of hours with my husband's larger tiller. On Tuesday, March 9th, Mrs. Camp our substitute teacher and master-gardener, and several boys from the after school program, worked in the garden. Mrs. Camp and I tilled using the small Mantis tiller I bought for the school with grant money. The boys spread Poconite (deer and rabbit deterent) and calcium nitrate which we were able to till in. These three young men were such a great help. They not only carried the bags, and spread the fertilizer, they were instrumental in marking off the garden for the different grade levels. They were able to use their multiplication skills with this indeaver. So I want to again give an extra thank you, to Cameron Alley, Jackson Van Herwynen, and Noah Layton. Great job, boys!




On Wednesday March 9th, our third grade classes planted their garden peas. They also planted around 9 of their Bonnie Cabbage plants. A couple of the second grade classes were able to plant their beet seeds. See pictures. I am anxious to see how the children like the beets. So many of them have never tried them. They are so healthy and provide so many vitamins and iron. I like the fact that they are good raw and also cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment