Wednesday, April 21, 2010

GROWING GROWING GROWING

First let me say a special, heartfelt THANK YOU to the Green Team parents who worked so hard pulling rye from our garden this past weekend. I could have cried when I saw how much better it looked. Thank you also for planting our butterfly bushes. I truly regret planting the rye this past fall in the garden. It was a big mistake and one we are having to deal with on a daily basis. I realize gardening is a learning process but my mistakes have sure created a lot of extra work for us all!


On to the good news! Even with the rye our vegetables are still growing! Our cabbage looks wonderful and I believe will be as large as last year. Our garden peas are doing great and are at least 12 '' tall and flowering. I think the peas may have been a good choice. I'm not sure about our beets. The rows are not as full as I had hoped they would be. I guess we will just have to be patient and see how they do. I hope we have a good production since beets are a vegetable I would like for the children to try cooked as well as raw. Broccoli is growing slowly but is growing. I will side dress with some nitrogen to see if that helps. Lettuce and Spinach are growing extremely well. I believe fourth grade will be able to start picking their lettuce next week and the spinach won't be far behind. The zucchini and squash are also doing well.


We have planted our larger herb garden behind our strawberry bed. With the larger space we were able to include some herbs we had not planted before. We added several kinds of mint as well as fennel and more varieties of sage. We will add a brick border around this bed and I have chosen a statue of a child helping a child to place in the center.


Our strawberries are growing!! The children are so excited. We actually have some real strawberries on the plants. When the vegetables and fruit start producing then the children really get excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment